Thursday 9 December 2010

human beings?

I checked out lyns blog (liniecat blogspot usually gets me there) and then checked out the blogs she follows. When I read stinkwanink blog, it made me smile as it reminded me of when I was 16yrs old, in hospital on the dangerously ill list. As  I laid there I pondered on many of life's great questions ie. what it meant to be a human being.  As I recovered I was wheeled through to the day room and a magazine plonked on my lap and left there on my own. In the middle of the page was a verse in a box so it stood out. "Look well to this day for it is the very life of life, every today well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this day." It was longer but that's all I remember and still remember to this day. When I got home I eventually got around to thinking more about what it means to be a human being and looked it up in a dictionary. To be human was different to being an animal because we have a conscience and be-ing meant a continuous state of to-be. Be is present tense for live or exist and Ing is active and in the present. So as eggs and sperm we were in a state of to-be and in the womb we went through several stages constantly changing be-ing until born when we change again. We change throughout childhood, puberty and adulthood always in a state of to-be. To be what?  That is where I left it and reminded myself of the verse, Look well to this day for it is the very life of life and grew up ! The next time I remembered the Human being thing was when I did a Fine Art degree as a mature student and it impressed the tutors !

No comments:

Post a Comment