Tuesday 15 November 2011

Angels and Christmas trees, folded books

I was asked to demonstrate how to make paperback Angels and Christmas trees. These are in the unfinished state. The top picture shows the basis of both Angels and tree. Simply fold the page, fold top corner to the spine, fold the folded edge to the spine, fold the bottom edge level with the bottom of the pages. Fold the book like that and you have a tree, Tear of the stiff front and back pages, For the Angel glue on wings, head, arms, hymn book/song sheet.

Bottom picture is my take on a Christmas tree. Fold page like first stage as above. Mark page under folded edge and cut to the middle of book. Fold half cut page to the bottom edge of the page and it will look like this.      
      
UPDATE...I have put a FLYING FOLDED BOOK ANGEL and WITCH and others on the July 25th 2012 blog post

I have been folding books in various ways, fascinated by the patterns the printed word made across the page and the way the gaps between words made tracks down the page. I investigated telephone books, TV guides, anything I could get my hands on. I wanted to combine stitching with folded paper by smocking the folded pages. In 2004 I won a place at uni for a practising artist to develop the ideas but left as my dad became ill and needed help with mum who had developed dementia. Still have the box of folded pieces.........one day....

3 comments:

  1. This took me back to days with my Grandmother. She would have us fold old Reader's Digest, spray paint them, and then create an angel, a tree, a chorus of singers. Your's is much more elegant. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. bet she also used to glue pages of an open book down and curl up the corners to create a well worn much read book look. Paint it and glue down some old greetings card picture and a sentiments page to create a gift-book to display. Nothing is new, it just comes around again ! Would have liked to have known your grandmother !

    ReplyDelete
  3. put more folded angels and a witch up on the blog on 25.7.2012

    ReplyDelete